You might think lasagna is hard to make. I’m here to say “If I can do it, you can too.”
* 1.25lb-1.5lb ground beef / hamburger
* 10 Creamette Lasagna Noodles – I buy a 1 LB box, there are 19 noodles in the box.
* 24 oz jar of Prego Traditional sauce
* 15 oz can of Contadina Pizza Sauce : Four Cheese
* 4 cups or 16oz bag of Kraft Mozzarella Cheese
* 16 oz container of Prairie Farms Cottage Cheese
* 2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
2. Boil lasagna noodles for about 10 minutes in a large pot. I use about 3.5 inches of water. The noodles don’t fit at first but as they soften up I push them down into the water, with a spoon of course.
3. While boiling the noodles, brown the 1lb of hamburger. Once it gets mostly browned I use a potato masher to break up the larger chunks.
4. Drain off the excess grease from the hamburger.
5. Pour and mix together the Prego sauce and the pizza sauce with the hamburger.
6. In a separate bowl mix together the cottage cheese with 2 eggs. You can use less cottage cheese if you are not a big fan of it. I use almost all of it and eat the last 2 or 3 bites. I love cottag cheese.
7. Remove the lasagna noodles from boiling water. I just dump the whole thing into a spaghetti strainer in the sink.
Now it’s time to put it all together. I use a rectangle 9 X 13 inch 2 inch deep glass baking pan.
8. Spread a very thin layer of the hamburger and sauce for the bottom layer. I use just a 1/2 a scope of my spatula. More sauce than hamburger here. You should still be able to see parts of the pan through the sauce you spread.
9. Place 4 lasagna noodles as your next layer lengthwise. Just barely overlap them. Since my pan is 13 inches, I cut about 2 inches off the 5th noodle to cover the remaining space as the lasagna noodles are only about 11 inches long. I just lay the 5th noodle widthwise overlapping the other noodles some.
10. Take half of the remaining mixture of sauce and hamburger. Spread evenly as the next layer.
11. Pour on the mixture of egg and cottage cheese. Spread evenly as the next layer.
12. Sprinkle a little of the mozzarella cheese evenly. I use about 1/2 cup here.
13. Repeat step 9 placing the remaining lasagna noodles as the next layer. I usually lay them opposite of the first layer of noodles so the 5 noodle is on the other side of the first layer.
14. Add the remaining sauce and hamburger. Spread evenly as the next layer.
15. Add all of the remaining mozzarella cheese. Spread evenly as the final layer.
16. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the cheese starts to brown on the edges.
I cut into 8 pieces that are about 4.5 in by 3 in each.
One cut down the middle lengthwise. Then cut widthwise down the middle and widthwise again on both sides between the center cut and the edge.
Number of Servings: 4 -5